Festive 4th of July Dessert
Pull out your favorite red, white and blue gear and get ready to celebrate the 4th of July in style. If you are like me and want to celebrate the 4th with all your favorite foods but you want to stay on the healthy track, no worries, this festive dessert is not only super delicious, it is healthy!
I started with super sweet summer strawberries. Strawberries are ranked exceptionally high when it comes to their antioxidant content and anti-inflammatory properties. They are a great fruit to consume because they are low in sugar and therefore are a low-glycemic fruit. I stuffed these beauties with a silky smooth cashew butter. The cashew butter is so creamy it’s hard to believe it’s dairy free, but it is.
This amazing cashew butter is high in mineral content with the highest being copper – others include magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, iron, potassium, selenium and calcium. No need to worry about high sodium in cashews. If you purchase raw unsalted cashews, they contain only a trace of sodium.
To give this dessert a festive flair, I topped it off with a blueberry. As with strawberries, blueberries are also one of the highest sources of antioxidants. There is even new evidence that blueberries can improve memory. In a study involving older adults (with an average age of 76 years), 12 weeks of daily blueberry consumption was enough to improve scores on two different tests of cognitive function including memory.
Hurray for the red, white and blue!
Enjoy this decadent dessert and a wonderful holiday,
- 1 package of fresh strawberries
- 1 package of blueberries
- 1 TBLS of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- ¾ cup of pitted dates
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
- A splash of almond milk
- Soak cashews and dates separately in cold water for 4 hours.
- Drain cashew and dates.
- Put the dates, cashews, vanilla and cinnamon in a food processor.
- Blend until creamy and smooth adding a splash of almond milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of the strawberries so they stand upright.
- Remove the tops of strawberries and scoop out some of the inside.
- Fill the strawberries with the cashew butter and garnish with a blueberry.
For more anti-aging healthy delicious recipes….SIGN UP TODAY!